Steve Hoffacker - Aging In Place Specialist & Universal Design Instructor
Steve Hoffacker, CAPS, CEAC, SHSS, is a highly regarded, much in demand, and widely recognized aging in place specialist-instructor and universal design instructor-consultant throughout North America. His students have come from nearly every state, many areas of Canada, and several other nations around the world to attend his classroom sessions, his online webinars, subscribe to his blog posts, and engage his coaching. He also has taken his more than 30-years of experience and extensive knowledge of residential design, new construction and remodeling sales and marketing, aging-in-place strategies, and universal design concepts gained from working with home builders, contractors, related professionals, and consumers and folded it into his training programs.
If you are a professional, a consumer, a caregiver, or someone else interested in helping people remain safely and comfortably in their homes as they age or face various physical conditions that limit or restrict their activity - whether in your own family, your neighbors, other people that you know, or your community in general, you should connect with Steve and take his classes on aging in place and universal design or consult with him to learn about his strategies. This includes such occupations and professions as remodelers, general contractors, occupational therapists, physical therapists, interior designers, kitchen and bath designers, engineers, architects, durable medical equipment companies, nurses, real estate sales professionals, attorneys, trade contractors, university faculty, non-profit and governmental agencies, consultants, and dozens more.
Based in West Palm Beach, Florida, as Steve Hoffacker LLC, but offering his teaching and instructional services across North America (for instance in 2016, he taught in Nevada, Missouri, Texas, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Tennessee, and Ohio, and added, among others, Maine, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Illinois in 2017 in addition to returning to most of the areas visited previously), Steve uses his extensive sales and marketing experience in new home sales and his background in remodeling and aging in place to impart effective, down-to-earth, real-world solutions and illustrations to his students. He has already encountered much of what any aging-in-place professional might face. He's been there and done that.
In 2016, Steve spent some 109 days in the classroom and has provided the 3-day CAPS program over 90 times in the past 10 years (including 22 sessions in 2016 alone and more than scheduled in 2017) - in addition to the Universal Design/Build classes and others.
Here are some specific reasons you should select to work with Steve as your aging in place, CAPS, or universal design instructor:
- He never cancels any of his classes - regardless of where they are held - as long as one person has registered and paid to attend
- He is the most experienced CAPS instructor in North America, having offered more classes than anyone else
- He has been teaching CAPS courses for 10 consecutive years
- He is the only instructor who charges the same amount for his classes no matter where they are held - your location or his
- He does not vary the rate for individual classes - all CAPS and marketing classes remain the same, and the amount of the Universal Design class does not change
- He was named "CAPS Educator of the Year. 2015"
- He is a Master Instructor with NAHB
- He has an extensive professional network in North America and can help you meet a strategic partner or find products you need for a solution
- He has personal, extensive remodeling and handyman experience on his own properties and those for which has done volunteer work - he understands contracting
- He has a solid foundation of occupational therapy (and other health care professions) as they relate to delivering aging in place solutions
- Though not part of either industry, he has a very strong working knowledge of durable medical equipment and assistive technology
- He has extensive residential design experience, having consulted with homebuilders for over 30 years
- He is an Education Member of the American Institute of Building Design and a Charter Member of the American Institute of City Planners
- He is an Approved Continuing Education course provider for the National Kitchen & Bath Association, of which he is a member
- He belongs to several aging in place organizations
- He has authored several books on aging in place and universal design, including two Amazon Kindle best-sellers
- He publishes a blog daily on aging in place topics - "Aging In Place Insider" - and this is republished frequently by other bloggers
Over the years, Steve has spoken and taught extensively at the National Association of Home Builder’s (NAHB) International Builders Show (IBS) and the Southeast Building Conference (SEBC) — on universal design and aging in place, including two programs in 2017 at the KBIS/IBS entitled "Aging In Place Isn't Just For Seniors" and "Visitability: What Homes Everywhere Need But (Most) Don't Have." He has written many columns for building magazines and been interviewed about aging in place topics for articles in such publications as "Consumer Reports." His "Aging In Place Insider" blog appears daily for aging in place professionals and interested consumers. He has appeared as a guest presenter and content provider on aging in place topics for continuing education and professional development courses and workshops, such as through the Florida Contractor Industry Licensing Board (CILB) and the University of Florida County Extension Service (IFAS). He is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) and has in-person and live webinar programs scheduled for 2017.
Steve is available as a consulting resource for any of his students and offers advice on business strategies and development. lead generation and marketing, and universal design floor plan review. He is availble to provide referrals throughout North America to professionals looking to connect or work together.
Steve has served on many NAHB national committees and was a National Director for many years. He also served as a State Director for the Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA) and is a Life Trustee for the Florida Sales & Marketing Council (FSMC). He is a Charter Member and Life Director of the Gold Coast Builders Association (GCBA), where he also was a VP of Councils, VP of Communication, a Royal Spike, and Founder of the Remodelers and Custom Builders Council. He also is a member of the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA), the National Aging-In-Place Council (NAIPC), Age Safe America (ASA), and Accessible Home Improvement of America (AHIA), and the American Institute of Building Design (AIBD).
Steve received the 2007 "IRM President’s Award" and the 2008 "Trina Ripley Award for Excellence in Education" from IRM. He was awarded the "William 'Bill' Molster Award" for 2012 for outstanding lifetime achievement in furthering the aims of the National Sales & Marketing Council (NSMC). He also has received the Million Dollar Circle Award, the NAHB Remodeler's "Sales Closer Achievement Award" and was named "Broker of The Year." In 2015, he was named "CAPS Educator of the Year" by the NAHB. In 2017, he became a Master Instructor.
He holds the Certified Aging In Place Specialist (CAPS) designation through the National Association of Home Builders, the Certified Environmental Access Consultant (CEAC) certification through the Accessible Home Improvement of America, and the Senior Home Safety Specialist (SHSS) designation through Age Safe America, among others. He also is a Business Team Advisory member with Age Safe America.
CAPS, CEAC, SHSS
Steve Hoffacker LLC
West Palm Beach, FL USA
Steve Hoffacker's Aging In Place Consulting & Instructional Services