Steve Hoffacker, CAPS, CEAC, SHSS, is a highly regarded, much in demand, and widely recognized Certified Aging In Place Specialist-Master Instructor, Universal Design Master-Instructor, aging in place thought-leader, and senior safety consultant throughout North America and beyond. His students have come from nearly every state, many areas of Canada, and several other nations around the world to attend his classroom sessions and his online webinars, to subscribe to his blog posts, and to engage his coaching.
He has taken his more than 30-years of experience and extensive knowledge of residential design, new construction and remodeling sales and marketing, aging-in-place strategies, and universal design concepts gained from working with home builders, contractors, related professionals, and consumers and folded it into his training programs.
No matter what you are doing to assist individuals as they choose to remain in their current homes, and regardless of their physical requirements or any health concerns they may have, Steve is prepared to help you address and improve their safety, comfort, convenience, and accessibility needs.
For Steve, aging in place more than a phrase. It’s a way of life for the vast majority of the population who are choosing to remain in their present homes long-term. We get to help them do that with a knowledge and sensitivity that makes it happen.
If you are a professional, a consumer, a caregiver, or someone else interested in helping people remain safely and comfortably in their homes as they age (all of us are aging) or face various physical conditions that limit or restrict their activity – whether in your own family, your neighbors, other people that you know, or your community in general, you should connect with Steve and take his classes on aging in place and universal design or consult with him to learn about his strategies. This includes such occupations and professions as remodelers and renovators, general contractors, occupational therapists, physical therapists, interior designers, kitchen and bath designers, engineers, architects, durable medical equipment companies, equipment specialists, nurses, real estate sales professionals, attorneys, trade contractors, university faculty, non-profit and governmental agencies, consultants, and dozens more.
Based in West Palm Beach, Florida, as Steve Hoffacker LLC, but offering his teaching and instructional services across America the past two years (Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia). in 2018, in addition to returning to most of the areas visited previously, Steve is adding classes in Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, New York, and Virginia.
He uses his extensive sales and marketing experience in new home sales and his background in remodeling and aging in place to impart effective, down-to-earth, real-world solutions and illustrations to his students. He has already encountered much of what any aging-in-place professional might face. He’s been there and done that.
Steve has provided the 3-day CAPS program well over 100 times in the past 10 years (including more than 25 sessions annually the past 2 years) – in addition to the Universal Design/Build classes and others.
Steve has appeared as a guest presenter and content provider on aging in place topics for continuing education and professional development courses and workshops, such as through the Florida Contractor Industry Licensing Board (CILB) and the University of Florida County Extension Service (IFAS). He is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) and served as a Subject Matter Expert (“SME”) for the 2017 CAPS I course revision and the 2018 Universal Design/Build course reviion.
In 2015, he was named “CAPS Educator of the Year” by the NAHB. In 2017, he became a Master Instructor. He holds the Certified Aging In Place Specialist (CAPS) designation through the National Association of Home Builders, the Certified Environmental Access Consultant (CEAC) certification through the VGM Homelink – Live At Home program, and the Senior Home Safety Specialist (SHSS) certification through Age Safe® America, among others. He also is a Business Team Advisory member with Age Safe® America
Here are the top three reasons you should select to work with Steve as your aging in place, CAPS, or universal design instructor or consultant:
- He never cancels any of his classes – regardless of where they are held – as long as one person has registered for the complete program and has paid to attend
- He is the only instructor who charges the same amount for his classes no matter where they are held – your location or his – and he does not vary the rate for individual classes
- He is the most experienced CAPS instructor in North America, having offered more classes than anyone else
Here are a dozen more reasons to work with Steve:
- He was named “CAPS Educator of the Year, 2015” and NAHB Master Instructor in 2017
- He is an inaugural member of the Certified Active Adult Specialist in Housing (CAASH)
- He is a Charter Member of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- He has personal, extensive remodeling and handyman experience on his own properties and those for which has done volunteer work – he understands construction
- He is an Associate Member of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and understands how OTs and other health care professionals relate to delivering aging in place solutions
Though not part of either industry, he has a very strong working knowledge of durable medical equipment and assistive technology
- He has extensive residential design experience, having consulted with homebuilders for over 30 years
- He is an Education Member of the American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) and a member and Approved Continuing Education course provider for the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA)
- He is a prolific writer, having written many books on aging in place, universal design, and sales, as well as authoring a blog daily on aging in place topics – “Aging In Place Insider”
- He founded and manages the “Aging & Accessibility” Facebook Group and the “Aging & Accessibility” LinkedIn Group
- He has a Masters degree in Sociology to give him an additional understanding of social relationships, housing, demography, aging, and aging in place issues
- He belongs to several aging organizations such as Age Safe® America and the National Council On Independent Living